As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive manner
Re:Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive mann 14 Years, 4 Months ago
I, too, wish there was a readily accessible "hold" or "latch" button.

Still, the ARP mode is easily the coolest thing on the Mnm.

Here's a tip:
If you want to create "fills" or simply some different timing for certain trigs in a sequence, use the SID ARP mode.

Let's say you have a BBOX on track1 and want to make the last page of the pattern little more interesting by inserting some 32nd notesl. Ordinarily, you'd have to have the tempo set to "X2" and create a new pattern, just for this one little variation. That's a lot of work and we don't want to waste the memory space. We could just use the arp's SID mode.

Go to the last page in the pattern and plot trigs, as normal. Then, go into the arp settings and change the mode to "SID" (duh). Since we want 32nd notes on some trigs, change the "SPD" to "x3".

On the trigs that you want to make more "interesting", press and hold that trig and hit at least two notes. Those trigs will now cycle through the arpeggiator at double the pattern speed (x3).

Obviously, it goes a lot deeper than this. Don't just use it on drums.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:Using the Monomachine's Arpeggiators in an intuitive mann 14 Years, 4 Months ago
glitched wrote:
I, too, wish there was a readily accessible "hold" or "latch" button.

Still, the ARP mode is easily the coolest thing on the Mnm.

Here's a tip:
If you want to create "fills" or simply some different timing for certain trigs in a sequence, use the SID ARP mode.

Let's say you have a BBOX on track1 and want to make the last page of the pattern little more interesting by inserting some 32nd notesl. Ordinarily, you'd have to have the tempo set to "X2" and create a new pattern, just for this one little variation. That's a lot of work and we don't want to waste the memory space. We could just use the arp's SID mode.

Go to the last page in the pattern and plot trigs, as normal. Then, go into the arp settings and change the mode to "SID" (duh). Since we want 32nd notes on some trigs, change the "SPD" to "x3".

On the trigs that you want to make more "interesting", press and hold that trig and hit at least two notes. Those trigs will now cycle through the arpeggiator at double the pattern speed (x3).

Obviously, it goes a lot deeper than this. Don't just use it on drums.

...and if you want it to repeat the same note, set arp length to 2, and add an offset to the second note of -2. Now, in the sequencer program C3 and D3 on the trigs where you want 32nd notes. The first note will be a C3, the second will be D3 minus 2 semitones...a C3.
King Koopa
MDUW/MNM
virb.com/swiv
I'm loving all of these tips.. thanks!

To test some of these things out I restricted myself to make a pattern at 38bpm.. Quite surprised at what can be done with the arp, delays and some bbox retrigs at such a low tempo.
Game & Watch
magnificent ideas about the BBox drum arp applications, cheers.
Chain Chomp
I did post some similar tips a while ago. I also found a way to have "different" swing variations on different tracks.

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=view&Itemid=28&catid=9&id=54341#54341

http://virb.com/thomachine - arp monomachine. A song i made while testing the arp.
Admin
tIB was here
top skills haiger... with this, the new efx machines and the potential polyrhythmic delay drum sequencing I was ranting about the other night it's clear that 2010 will once again be the year of the monomachine!
Go to top Post Reply